[返回学习园地首页]·[所有跟帖]·[ 回复本帖 ] ·[热门原创] ·[繁體閱讀]·[版主管理]
《National Geographic UK 国家地理英国版》 2020年 11月刊
送交者: icemessenger[♂☆★★★SuperMod★★★☆♂] 于 2020-11-13 8:54 已读 1091 次  

icemessenger的个人频道

Contemplating a Remade World

Since the beginning of the year, this novel coronavirus has altered life as we know it. Worldwide a staggering number of people have contracted COVID-19, and a still growing number have died. No part of life is untouched: Work. School. Family life. Traditions such as graduations and, sadly, funerals, are changed nearly beyond recognition. 6park.com

This special issue focuses on how the pandemic has remade our world—and how it might change our thinking and our actions even more in the future. 6park.com

I think a lot about how this will affect kids. During video meetings we’ve held since we began working from home in March, I see colleagues’ young children in the background (and occasionally in the foreground). I worry about how being thrust into remote learning will affect them academically. 6park.com

But I worry more about youngsters I don’t see on these calls: kids for whom schools provided decent computers and internet access, and one meal (or more) a day. I pray that aid will continue even if schools stay closed, and hope those kids are resilient enough to bounce back. 6park.com

I think too about the young people who were just coming into their own when the pandemic landed, upending so many dreams. These 18- to 25-year-olds have weathered challenges from the start, growing up in the shadow of 9/11 and practicing active-shooter drills from elementary school onward. The Great Recession hit many families hard, so the students shouldered mountains of debt to pay for college. And now they see internships canceled, job offers rescinded, an unintended “gap year.” It’s a rotten hand to be dealt. “Generation Screwed,” some call them. 6park.com

Not so fast. Recently I read an essay about 2020 by Cate Engles, who graduated in May from a private high school in Ohio. Like senior classes across the United States, hers “was immediately thrust into a world that didn’t care about senior traditions, cumulative GPAs, and college plans,” she wrote. There was no pomp, only unexpected circumstance. 6park.com

She has delayed going to college for a year and aims to make the best of it, as her class did when its senior celebrations were canceled. “Instead of worrying over dresses and dates and corsages,” she wrote, “our high school generation dedicated their weekends to fight for justice where it is long overdue.” 6park.com

She hopes the result of that will be “newspaper articles about the impact this generation had on the world, rather than on the dance floor.” 6park.com

I surely didn’t have that kind of grace or wisdom when I was 18. You’ll find the same determination reflected by other young people in an essay in this issue. Here’s how writer Jordan Salama, himself just 23, describes this moment in history: “For those of us at the beginning of our adult lives, the faltering start caused by the pandemic means that our choices will matter even more.” 6park.com

Thank you for reading National Geographic.

文件大小: 133 MB

PDF 下载链接:

https://vk.com/doc322500912_577035714?hash=03532c37f16b7330b1 6park.com

6park.com

喜欢icemessenger朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ icemessenger的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回学习园地首页]
帖子内容是网友自行贴上分享,如果您认为其中内容违规或者侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们核实后会第一时间删除。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )

• 144图 - icemessenger (13673 bytes) 11/13/20

用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画

图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
    进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...

[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]