[返回学习园地首页]·[所有跟帖]·[ 回复本帖 ] ·[热门原创] ·[繁體閱讀]·[版主管理]
每日趣图:What Is This Thing?
送交者: icemessenger[♂☆★★★SuperMod★★★☆♂] 于 2024-03-28 9:52 已读 4074 次 3 赞  

icemessenger的个人频道

We’ve never lived in a time such as this, where information is always at our fingertips. That’s why it’s called the Information Age. We can Google what the weather is outside and what song is currently playing, and we can even ask AI to make us a meal plan for the week. But there’s one niche that Google hasn’t conquered yet – identifying mysterious and weird objects. 6park.com

That’s the job for the What Is This Thing? subreddit. We’ve covered the community many, many times throughout the years. And now has come the time for the best of the best, the cream of the crop – the very top “What Is This Thing?” posts of all time. So, we present to you the ultimate compilation of people identifying strange, unknown objects!

#1 What Are These For In An Outdoor Area Of A Hospital?

6park.com

Answer: These are emergency showers. An affected person (chemical spills, laboratory mishaps, etc) will pull the level on the top and tepid water (OSHA defined between 60F and 100F) will douse the affected from the shower head (above) and boot sprayer (below). The duration of these showers is required to be 15 full minutes at approximately 20 PSI. Source: I design these systems. 6park.com

#2 What Is The Point Of Such A Device?

6park.com

Answer: USB charging condom. This way you can plug your phone into a random USB port and be sure that no data is exchanged. Only the power pins are passed through to the phone. Also called a sync stop. 6park.com

#3 I Found This Blue Disc In A Packet Of Sour Cream Crisps. Its Has The Words "Ferrous 25mm Bst, Cert Number 213026b" On It. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: It's a testing chip. It goes through the metal detectors to ensure they're working. There's a problem here though. You send X number of testers you get X number back. If you get X-1 or some other number you stop the line until you find your chip. The entire purpose of the test is to make sure that stuff like this--which is supposed to simulate a foreign object--does not get through. There's usually paperwork to document this. Write to the outfit and tell them what you found and rest assured there will be a s**tstorm on the other end. 6park.com

#4 What Are These Blue Reflecting Markers For? Mounted On A Pole, Facing The Field

6park.com

Answer: They are reflecting the headlights of cars to the fields, so that deer avoids crossing the road. So it's for safety of cars and animals. 6park.com

#5 Found This On The Side Of The Road In My Neighborhood. Thought It Was A Brain, Then Dissected It And Now I Have No Idea. Lots Of Small Lobes, Fuzzy Inside, Rubbery?

6park.com

Answer: You my friend, have just dissected dog poop. Someone’s dog has eaten paper towels in abundance. They can’t digest it and it comes out like this 6park.com

#6 Posts With Nets On Top On Side Of Street In The Netherlands

6park.com

Answer: these are to help bats orientate themselves, until the trees are larger. Did they recently cut down trees along this road? Bats need to hear reflection of their sound to know where they are going. These things will replace the leaves in that. 6park.com

#7 Thin Slabs Of Ivory With Days Of The Week On The Top Found In My Closet. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: Fabulous antique early Victorian chatelaine aide memoir from mid 1800s. Made of sheets of bone, it would have hung on a lady's chatalaine chain or been kept securely in her pocket and she would have used it to make note and appointments for the week to come. It has 6 pages for the days Monday to Saturday, of course a lady would never have made appointments on a Sunday 6park.com

#8 My Girlfriend's House Has This Panel Next To The Basement Door That Lights Up Whenever The Basement Light Is On. Why?

6park.com

Answer: It’s to tell you that the basement light is on. 6park.com

#9 Object Found While Hiking Off-Road In Bosnia. Notice The Spikes Near The End! Wondering What It Is

6park.com

Answer: DON'T GO HIKING IN BOSNIA IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE ARE YOU GOING. it is full of unmarked mine fields. 6park.com

#10 Found This Glass Like Tube “Shell” Washed Up On A Beach In North Carolina, Any Idea What It Is?

6park.com

Answer: Stingray teeth. 6park.com

#11 My Security Camera Caught This Individual With A Large Device, Possibly Scanning For Something? The Individual Noticed The Camera And Changed Their Mind It Seems, But What Have They Got And What Are They Doing?

6park.com

Answer: this person is probably a car thief scanning for keyless car keys. . never leave them near windows and doors. 6park.com

#12 What Is This Ring My Uber Driver Would Randomly Click?

6park.com

Answer: Hes praying, thats a counter. The prayer involves repeating a phrase a certain number of times. Traditionally you kept track on your fingers or with a string of beads. This device does the same job. 6park.com

#13 Iron Cone On Either Side Of A Gate Outside The Entry To A Building In Bath England

6park.com

Answer: It's a snuffer. A visitor to your house would use it to put out their torch. 6park.com

#14 I Saw This In My Yard. Is This Just A Type Of Worm? Or Is There A Parasite On It? (I Saw It Breathing/Have Some Sort Of Heartbeat, So It’s Alive)

6park.com

Answer: that's two worms making more worms. 6park.com

#15 This Was Found By A Cleaner Hidden Under My Dresser In My Bedroom (She Told Me Very Discreetly About This Which Has Me Concerned), I’ve Tried To Google It To No Avail. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: voice recorder, doesn't transmit using wireless though so whoever placed this thing, will be back. If this was in your home, chances are there are cameras as well. 6park.com

#16 Came Across This While Hiking Behind An Old Mine In Southwestern Pennsylvania. Several Miles Off Of The Old Access Road. Appears 40 Feet Long, Nothing Written On It, Appears Nothing Is Inside Of It. 25 Feet Or So Off Of The Ground. No Sign Of Life Around It For Miles

6park.com

Answer: That, my friend, is the daddy of all deer stands. 6park.com

#17 Tooth? Found At Myrtle Beach, Sc

6park.com

Answer: that’s a broken megalodon tooth. 6park.com

#18 Found On Counter In Medical Exam Room: String Of Plastic Numbered Oval Beads. My Own Doc Had No Idea. Pen For Scale

6park.com

Answer: orchidometer. Used for sizing testicles. 6park.com

#19 Ok, I Know It’s A Chair, But What’s With The Extended Arms?

6park.com

Answer: It looks like a plantation/planters chair. You’d put your sore swollen legs up on the arms after sitting on a horse all day, like a pregnant woman with her legs up in the same fashion. This is why the back is so sloped as well. If you sit up straight it wouldn’t be comfortable to put your legs up like that, but in a reclined position it’s good for blood flow and air flow. 6park.com

#20 Old Ruler. I Don’t Know How It Is Used Or What Does It Measure

6park.com

Answer: Slide rule, logarithmic calculating device. These put humans on the moon. 6park.com

#21 Found This White Fuzzy Thing In My Basement, Mother Freaked Out. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: Spiders infected with fungus look like this. 6park.com

#22 My Mom And Dad Were Doing Some Landscaping In The Backyard And Found This Weird Slate With Writing Etched Into It. The Months Are Spelled Out And The Year States 1827. This Was Located In Southern Missouri

6park.com

Answer: a practice gravestone scrap. Someone who carved gravestones would practice engraving lettering and drawings on this broken piece of stone. 6park.com

#23 What Is This Thing In My Classroom? Makes Subtle Fan-Like Sounds And Changes Colour On Top

6park.com

Answer: AV1 is a personal avatar for children suffering from long-term illness, helping them to continue their education and maintain the normality of daily life despite no longer being able to access mainstream education. Through an app, the user can remotely log into the class from their home or hospital. Looking through the robots eyes, the child can watch the lesson, through the robot’s ears they can hear greetings from their friends and they can speak through the robot to interact with the rest of the class. 6park.com

#24 This Sticker On The Inside Cover Of A Second-Hand Bible. Pretty Sure It Depicts A Partridge And A Fig Tree, Both Of Which Have Biblical Connections But No Idea What It Means

6park.com

Answer: No Bush/Quail. 1992 election sticker. 6park.com

#25 This Weird Wrapped Car. The Lights Were Wrapped In Cloth. Serial Numbers All Around. Anything Significant Or Just Tacky?

6park.com

Answer: It obscures the car while being test driven, so the yet-to-be-released models are not photographed and published. The random "wave" patterns effectively hide the body contours and lines. 6park.com

#26 I Found This Metal Object. No Text Or Numbers. Can Retract To Be The Size Of A Bracelet. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: It's the top (closure part) of a purse or small handbag. 6park.com

#27 What Is This Big Hole That Is Usually Found On Milk Cartons?

6park.com

Answer: It’s a pressure relief hole. If you dropped it, instead of exploding, the hole would pop out. 6park.com

#28 This Belonged To My Great Grandfather. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: If it's legit, that's a really old Gibson, from between 1903 and 1933. It's going to be worth more than you think, so be really careful with it. Seriously. 6park.com

#29 This Structure I Found While Walking In The Woods, The Metal Bit Is About 2 Feet Wide And Looks Like It Could Uncomfortably Fit A Person In It. My Guesses Are A Well, Sewer Or Time Capsule. For Context I Live In Eastern Massachusetts. We Plan On Going Back To Open It

6park.com

Answer: Definitely a man hole. Do not open it. DEFINITELY DO NOT GO IN IT! Manholes are notoriously deadly because they contain low oxygen percentages and high concentrations of poisonous gases such as hydrogen sulfide and methane. First responders usually find two dead people in manholes - the first one that went in and succumbed and their friend who watched them pass out and rushes in to help. 6park.com

#30 IKEA Coffee Mug, What Is The Thing At The Bottom?

6park.com

Answer: So water doesn't stay on the bottom if you put the mug in the dishwasher and stops wet mugs suctioning themselves to coasters. Pretty clever design actually. 6park.com

#31 Glass Items Seen At Yard Sale. They Aren't Doorknobs And Some Look Like One Solid Piece?

6park.com

Answer: Knife rests. 6park.com

#32 Grandmother Received This From Her Friend After His Death. Nobody At The Senior's Center She Lives At Knows What It Is. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: Opium pipe. 6park.com

#33 What Is This Ice Phenomenon I Found On The Forest Floor Today?

6park.com

Answer: The term for it is frost flower and has to do with moisture freezing as it escapes plant tissue. 6park.com

#34 This... Thing... Showed Up Inside The Humid Jar Of My Carnivorous Plants. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

#35 Help Identify What These Are And What They Were Used For? Passed Down By Family - UK

6park.com

Answer: An apprentice final piece before becoming a journey man engraver. 6park.com

#36 What Is The Hollow Part Of This For? Never Seen Anything Like It Before. Cat For Size Reference

6park.com

Answer: phone table with storage space for the phone book. 6park.com

#37 Found This In House I’m Tearing Apart In A Book Like Someone Wanted To Keep Them Don’t Think It’s Real Money

6park.com

Answer: Its money from the Philippines when it was occupied by Japan in 1941. 6park.com

#38 Sunset Pic I Took From JFK Airport. Could These Shadows Be The Manhattan Skyline?

6park.com

Answer: I live near Mt. Rainier and this happens too, only at dawn. The mountain casts its shadow on the underside of the clouds. This is just as impressive as that. 6park.com

#39 Found A Rock On The Porch Of My New Home, Flipped It Over And Saw This. Is That A Fossil?

6park.com

Answer: Yup, that's a fossil. Tree trunk impression. 6park.com

#40 4in By 4in Scissors. Uncomfortable To Hold, In Either Hand, Two Or Four Fingers. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: they're childrens' training scissors. Like for pre-schoolers. The extra holes are so a grown-up can co-scissor and help the kid. 6park.com

#41 Found On A Hike In The Highlands In Scotland. Looks And Feels Handmade, Wooden Handle And Mesh Made Of Wire

6park.com

Answer: Fire beaters. Used to extinguish small fires. 6park.com

#42 Found This Small Kettle Years Ago. Tried Searching For A Similar One But Have Always Come Up With Nothing. Anybody Have An Idea Why This Has This Unique Shape?

6park.com

Answer: a portable men’s urinal for bedbound patients. It is used to pee when you cannot get out of bed. 6park.com

#43 I Found This Ring In My Backyard While Doing Gardening. After Cleaning It, It Doesn't Look Like A Normal Ring. Any Ideas ?

6park.com

Answer: It's a Georgian/early Victorian mourning ring. The initials belong to the lost loved one. They were typically made from gold (18k+) and enameled in black. Yours looks like it was made around 1820s-40s. 6park.com

#44 Small Round “Shelf” In Old Mail Box. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: for leaving change for postal worker to add postage. USPS delivery people are required to have stamps and you don't even need to catch them to buy some. If you have a piece of mail without postage you can put it in your mailbox with cash and the carrier will bring back change (if needed) the next day. 6park.com

#45 Art Nouveau Style Hook Made Of Silver

6park.com

Answer: a boot button hook. Used to hook all those tiny buttons on ladies boots 6park.com

#46 Weird Squirming Living Lovecraftian Nightmare On Our Lawn Chair This Morning. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: Hag moth caterpillar with fuzzy “false arms” on its back to make it look like a dead leaf. (We’re looking at the belly) 6park.com

#47 This Is About The Size Of My Hand, Made Of/With Some Kind Of Metal (I Think Copper)

6park.com

Answer: This is mostly likely thousands of years old - a Pre-Columbian artifact. You should take it to a university or museum for analysis. DO NOT polish it or clean it. 6park.com

#48 Small Elephant Filled With Water Left At Flat After Party. Debating With Flatmates Over What It’s Purpose Could Be

6park.com

Answer: It's a melted reusable ice cube. 6park.com

#49 Found On The Dashboard Of An Old Gmc. A Lucite Like Material, With Ridges

6park.com

Answer: It's a traffic light viewer. Traffic lights back in the day were mounted on the same side you stopped on which sometimes made it difficult to see the light if you were first in line, this helped reflect the light from above so you could tell when the light changed. 6park.com

#50 A Silver Utensil. When You Press The Button On One End The Grips Open. What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: Sugarcube holder. For tea parties with scones. Or coffee and cake.

喜欢icemessenger朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ icemessenger的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回学习园地首页]
帖子内容是网友自行贴上分享,如果您认为其中内容违规或者侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们核实后会第一时间删除。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )

用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画

图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...

[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]