A new China narrative for Australia Submission
送交者: 海外华人[☆★声望品衔8★☆] 于 2019-11-29 19:08 已读 1614 次  

海外华人的个人频道

转载者按语:以下是澳洲政界学界联合撰写的关于中国的报告,文章认为澳洲今后的发展对华依赖很大,澳亟待推出符合新时代的对华政策,值得中国外交部参考。
这些论述立场与华盛顿有明显的差距,被美国财团控制的澳洲主流媒体经常充当制造反华氛围,阻扰澳中关系转寰的推手作用。 6park.com

A new China narrative for Australia 6park.com

Submission by Peter Manning 6park.com

7 May 2019 6park.com

As a scholar of representations, I have concentrated on Australian policy and media narratives  6park.com

of "the Middle East” and of one religion, Islam. While not a foreign correspondent in the  6park.com

traditional sense, I have travelled widely as a journalist and reported from many countries  6park.com

foreign to most Australians. However, China was not one of them. 6park.com

I am therefore reluctant to enter the area of China policy. However, as a journalist of nearly 50  6park.com

years’ practice, I am well aware of the intimate connection between government policy and  6park.com

media narratives, and my latest book Representing Palestine (I.B. Taurus, London, 2018) certainly  6park.com

studies that connection in great detail. 6park.com

I would make some obvious points which should inform any government narrative towards  6park.com

China: 6park.com

1. An awareness of the Western colonial enterprise (of which Australian was a military  6park.com

party after the Boxer Rebellion) which reduced the empire to a plaything of Japan, Russia  6park.com

and Western powers until 1949. 6park.com

2. An awareness of the way in which the US Monroe Doctrine was proclaimed and enacted  6park.com

to ensure a dramatic expansion of American power in the Pacific and the Caribbean. 6park.com

3. An awareness of the economic distance travelled by Communist China to lift most of its  6park.com

citizens out of poverty and regaining respect throughout the world for its emergence as  6park.com

a major, if not the, major player on the world stage.  6park.com

4. An awareness of how attractive trade with China – from ore to students and tourism – 6park.com

has become to Australia to the point of “putting all our eggs in one basket”; and finally 6park.com

5. Acknowledging the decline of American interest in our region and the decline of the  6park.com

United States more broadly following a disastrous series of costly (in every sense) wars  6park.com

of occupation in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria – and Australia’s “me too” attitude  6park.com

to involvement. 6park.com

It is against this backdrop that we have quickly found ourselves at odds with the growing power  6park.com

of China. This is in grave contrast to the era of Gough Whitlam, Malcolm Fraser, Bob Hawke and  6park.com

foreign ministers like Bill Hayden and Gareth Evans who took China up as a friend from 1972  6park.com

onwards. 6park.com

In short time we have found ourselves in diplomatic trouble. 6park.com

In my view, we should: 6park.com

• Make it clear that Australia is doing its own “pivot” but this time it is not from Britain to  6park.com

the US, but from seeing ourselves as part of an “English-speaking ‘Five Eyes’ network" to  6park.com

a country celebrating its future in Asia; 6park.com

•Treat every Chinese initiative like the Belt and Road Initiative as a potential opportunity 
6park.com

for joint partnership unless proven otherwise in our national interest; 6park.com

6park.com

• Develop soft power links with China that enhance the complexity of our relationship and  6park.com

invite a mutual trade in creative enterprises (like translating, film festivals, ABC,  6park.com

scholarships, etc) much like the Goethe Institute does; and 6park.com

6park.com

• Encourage tourism to China, not just in reverse. 6park.com

It is clear that we cannot pretend to be accepting of some of the dictatorial and un-democratic  6park.com

actions of the Chinese government and its various arms. We should be up-front about the  6park.com

abductions of citizens and the appalling treatment of the Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang province  6park.com

and elsewhere. The more we stay silent the less that will be done to curb such atrocities. 6park.com

6park.com

But in my view, we should act from a stable basis of friendship with China and its great culture. 6park.com

6park.com

Australians have long had a history of bad race relations, starting with the First Peoples. For  6park.com

more than a century the stories of massacres of Chinese gold miners at places like Lambing  6park.com

Flats held sway in the Australian imagination of the nineteenth century. Then came White  6park.com

Australia in the twentieth. Then the Germans, the Jews, the Italians and Greeks, the Vietnamese,  6park.com

the Lebanese (especially Muslims) and now we seem to be verging on a new China panic. 6park.com

6park.com

We need to grow up as a nation, adopt a more independent foreign policy and treat China not  6park.com

as part of our Western conspiracy but as our regional friend and partner in trade and diplomacy 6park.com

– based on our national interest as we define it. 6park.com

6park.com

Peter Manning is an Adjunct Professor of Journalism at the University of Technology Sydney
喜欢海外华人朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ 海外华人的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回网际谈兵首页]
帖子内容是网友自行贴上分享,如果您认为其中内容违规或者侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们核实后会第一时间删除。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )

用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画

图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
    进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...

[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]