[返回军事纵横首页]·[所有跟帖]·[ 回复本帖 ] ·[热门原创] ·[繁體閱讀]·[版主管理]
彭佩奥诚实地回答了问题
送交者: 老尅[♂★★声望品衔10★★♂] 于 2023-02-17 3:18 已读 1630 次 5 赞  

老尅的个人频道

彭佩奥的讲演的题目是“Why Diplomacy Matters.”
“We lied, we cheated, we stole.”是他在回答
“How do you balance condemnations with concessions in diplomacy with a controversial government such as Saudi Arabia? ”
这个问题时用西点军校的校训(他是西点毕业的)作为对比说明不同的事情需要不同地对待,不同的部门有不同的职责。 6park.com

“We lied, we cheated, we stole. It’s – it was like – we had entire training courses. (Applause.) It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment.”
中国人的翻译是:
 “我们撒谎、我们欺骗、我们偷窃。我们还有一门课程专门来教这些。这才是美国不断探索进取的荣耀。 6park.com

“It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment.” 这句该怎么翻译?^_^
"这才是美国不断探索进取的荣耀" ?

下面就是那段对话(其实最好从头到尾听一遍,你会发现相比于中国,美国是一个多么自信的国家。这就是令杨洁篪愤愤不平的“实力地位”吧。照仓央嘉措的观点:你承认不承认,实力地位就在那。) 6park.com

Q: Hi, Mr. Secretary. My name is Ben Allen (ph), and I’m a civil engineering student. My question for you is: How do you balance condemnations with concessions in diplomacy with a controversial government such as Saudi Arabia? Thank you.

P: So I always begin with a deep understanding that no secretary of state gets through their first day without recognizing it’s a tough world out there. We don’t appreciate how glorious it is to be here in the United States of America on a consistent enough basis and with enough fervor. Maybe you do here at Texas A&M, but I think too many Americans don’t understand how blessed we are. These are – are many, many tough places out there.

Having said that, not all tough places are the same. They each present a different set of challenges. I – it reminds me, you would know this as – it’s a bit of an aside. But in terms of how you think about problem sets, I – when I was a cadet, what’s the first – what’s the cadet motto at West Point? You will not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do. I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole. (Laughter.) It’s – it was like – we had entire training courses. (Applause.) It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment.

And so when you deal with these countries, you have to just recognize they’re not all the same. Some of these difficult, nasty places want to partner with the United States and just haven’t gotten to the right place yet, just haven’t been able to move their own institutions. And some of them may only be trying half as much as they ought to be trying, but they’re trying to move in the right direction. That presents a very different way of thinking about how the United States ought to address them. In those cases, we ought to assist them. 6park.com

中国媒体的英文水平(望文生义)、道德水平(断章取义)的实力地位是有目共睹的。

评分完成:已经给 老尅 加上 50 银元!

喜欢老尅朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ 老尅的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回军事纵横首页]
老尅 已标注本帖为原创内容,若需转载授权请联系网友本人。如果内容违规或侵权,请告知我们。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )

用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画

图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...

[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]