[返回学习园地首页]·[所有跟帖]·[ 回复本帖 ] ·[热门原创] ·[繁體閱讀]·[版主管理]
每日趣图:What is it?
送交者: icemessenger[♂☆★★★SuperMod★★★☆♂] 于 2023-12-15 9:54 已读 5287 次  

icemessenger的个人频道

From yard sales to the attics of our parent's homes, we have all probably come across weird objects that don’t seem to have any discernible purpose. Like anthropologists studying the site of an ancient city, we had to try and piece together contextual clues. But these days, through the magic of the internet, we can simply ask hundreds of thousands of people to help. 6park.com

The “What is it?” online community is dedicated to helping people understand what obscure object they are looking at. So get comfortable, make your best guesses in the comments, and be sure to upvote your favorite posts.

#1 Found While Hiking, What Is This Thing?

6park.com

Answer: MCH (3-methlcyclohex-2-en1) bubble, MCH is a pheromone given off by female Douglas-fir bark beetles after laying their eggs that affects the behavior of other beetles by communicating to them that eggs have already been laid on this tree and signals to the other beetles to leave that tree alone. Basically they’re placed there by the Forestry Service to prevent infestations of bark beetles, if you see them, leave them alone

#2 Got Really Drunk At A Fancy Club And Found This In My Purse Today, What Is It?

6park.com

Answer: Toilet paper holder

#3 What Is This Symbol On A Passing Car's Rear Window? Seen In Georgia, Near Atlanta

6park.com

Answer: Aegishjalmur, it’s an Icelandic magical stave. Used to protect warriors and instill fear in enemies

#4 I Found This Many Many Many Years Ago…

6park.com

Answer: Antique circa 1920 sterling silver lady's coin purse with a mirror

#5 A Friend Found This At A Lake In Glacier National Park, Any Ideas What It Is?

6park.com

Answer: Looks like an ancient mastadon tooth

#6 Found In My Yard In Central Massachusetts. Metal, Pretty Heavy

6park.com

Answer: horse drawn carriage leaf sprngs

#7 Help! What Is This?

6park.com

Answer: that is the pin that holds nail clippers together

#8 Saw This From Our Plane

6park.com

Answer: Utah’s Potash ponds are used in the separation of potassium from various mined and manufactured salts. The resulting potassium is used for fertilizer, animal feed and water softening

#9 Does My Work Know When I’m [Pooping]?

6park.com

It’s a wireless reed switch or sensor. Will tell you when the door is opened or closed. 6park.com

The bad me wonders why the hell they want to know how long each [poop] takes and why they are measuring this. The perhaps more naive me wonders if they change cleaning schedules depending on the number of “stall cycles”. 6park.com

Still kind of a weird thing on a [toilet] door.

#10 Why Is The Retaining Wall Like This?

6park.com

Answer: Those are tieback anchors with their pointy end covered. They go long past the back of the wall and likely into some rock somewhere behind the retaining wall. They are there as reinforcement to prevent movement of the wall over time

#11 Found On Beach After Storm In Outer Banks, North Carolina

6park.com

Answer: Jaw bone of a whale (blue whale, grey whale..?)

#12 Been Trying To Figure Out The Purpose Of This Thing Ever Since My Buddy Moved Into His New House

6park.com

Answer: It's a jig for bending metal wire and thin metal bars

#13 My Neighbor Has This In His Lawn, High Frequency Sound Comes Out Of It When I Pass It

6park.com

Answer: It's an animal repellent

#14 Found In Parents Bathroom Closet

6park.com

Answer: I believe is a contact lens cleaner

#15 What Is The Purpose For This Bottle Opener To Have A Pointy End And A Flat End?

6park.com

Answer: The pointy end is to pierce a hole in a 1/2 gallon can of juice (need two holes, one at 12 o’clock and one at 6 o’clock to allow juice to flow out and air to flow in) while the flat end is to open a bottle cap

#16 What The Heck Is This? Heavy, Made Of Glass, Found In A Freight Train Dump Yard

6park.com

Answer: it's from a modern LCD projector. white light goes in, gets split into three, each color goes through a different LCD, then directed into this which recombines them into a coherent single "beam" which is what gets thrown into the screen

#17 Found At A Thrift Store Nobody Knows What It Is

6park.com

Answer: It's a toothpaste tube roller for convenience/efficiency

#18 What Is This? Uncle Had This Since Decades And Never Found Out What It This?

6park.com

Answer: It must be the mineral Marcasite

#19 What Is This At My New Desk

6park.com

Answer: That is a panic button 

#20 Is This A Bullet Hole?

6park.com

Answer: Looks like a high-speed impact punched through, so yeah it might be a bullet. If you can fit your INDEX finger in the hole, you are talking about a large caliber bullet. Look around in the trunk and see if you can find it or fragments of it

#21 Over Orlando Florida

6park.com

Answer: Spacex falcon 9 booster re-entering the atmosphere

#22 Found This At A Garage Sale…

6park.com

Answer: For opening a soft boiled egg

#23 What Is The Purpose Of These Flaps On The Back Of A Semi?

6park.com

Answer: It's called a 'trailer tail'. The angle of the panels is supposed to ease the flow of air behind the trailer reducing aerodynamic drag and turbulence and increasing fuel mileage

#24 My Mom Found This By Her Pool Gate

6park.com

Answer: It’s a holder for a cigarette. Theres usually a ring at the bottom. I own one. The flower opens and the beads slide up to keep the cigarette in place

#25 Hanging On The Wall At My Parents House

6park.com

Answer: Definitely egg cups and egg timer

#26 This Was Put Up In The Laundry Room

6park.com

Answer: It’s a trail camera. Takes pictures when it detects motion

#27 Saw This At A Yard Sale Yesterday. Daughter Wanted It For Some Reason. We Don’t Have A Clue What It Could Be

6park.com

Answer: Looks like a saloon door spice rack

#28 What Are These Dots On My 2018 Atoyot For?

6park.com

Answer: This is a marking by the manufacturer to indicate internal information about the window

#29 Saw This While Disc Golfing. What Is It?

6park.com

Answer: It’s a slimemould

#30 Seen In A Boathouse In The Pacific Northwest

6park.com

Answer: makeshift urinal

#31 I Inhereted This Decades Ago. What Is It?

6park.com

Answer: Coal scuttle/portable heater

#32 What Is This Out On Lake Michigan?

6park.com

Answer: It is called a "crib". They collect water and then water flows via gravity below the lake to the city's water filtration plants

#33 My Home Was Built In 1986. This Is On The Side Of The Upper Kitchen Cabinet. The Lid Comes Off. What Is It?

6park.com

Answer: a paper cup holder

#34 Found This In The Road Near My Car? Any Clue?

6park.com

Answer: Bottle capper

#35 Found At A Garage Sale. No One Knows What It Is

6park.com

Answer: Indian brass bud vase

#36 Found On Hotel Room Floor, What The Heck Is It?

6park.com

Answer: Looks like a blackhead removal tool

#37 Found Outside A Restaurant Approximately 25 Years Ago. The Pieces Don't Move

6park.com

Answer: Eyelet for a fishing pole

#38 Any Idea What This Is?

6park.com

Answer: it's a dreidel. A 4-sided toy marked with Hebrew letters and spun like a top in a game of chance

#39 What Is This Thing In My New Apartment? Staff Have No Idea Either

6park.com

Answer: Kinda looks like a doorbell chime

#40 Dog Found This In My Backyard. I'm In A Largely Residential Neighborhood. Its Hard Plastic Not Soft Like A Shotgun Shell. Bottom Only Has That Small Piece Of Metal Not The Whole End. About 2.5inch Long

6park.com

Answer: Looks like percussion cap for a hole puncher tool

#41 These Wires Are In Every Room Of The Place I’m Moving To, What Are They For?

6park.com

Answer: coax cable

#42 Does Anyone Know What The Heck These Things Are Attached To These Dead Trees?

6park.com

Answer: It's a moisture indicator. I'm assuming, some mix of goodies that gets darker as it dries out

喜欢icemessenger朋友的这个贴子的话, 请点这里投票,“赞”助支持!
[举报反馈]·[ icemessenger的个人频道 ]·[-->>参与评论回复]·[用户前期主贴]·[手机扫描浏览分享]·[返回学习园地首页]
帖子内容是网友自行贴上分享,如果您认为其中内容违规或者侵犯了您的权益,请与我们联系,我们核实后会第一时间删除。

所有跟帖:        ( 主贴楼主有权删除不文明回复,拉黑不受欢迎的用户 )

用户名:密码:[--注册ID--]

标 题:

粗体 斜体 下划线 居中 插入图片插入图片 插入Flash插入Flash动画

图片上传  Youtube代码器  预览辅助

打开微信,扫一扫[Scan QR Code]
    进入内容页点击屏幕右上分享按钮

楼主本栏目热帖推荐:

>>>>查看更多楼主社区动态...

[ 留园条例 ] [ 广告服务 ] [ 联系我们 ] [ 个人帐户 ] [ 版主申请 ] [ Contact us ]